Saturday, February 11, 2012

Quarrelling and Blog Arguing

I have been following some blogs lately that attempt to “expose” unbiblical models of ministry.  The idea in itself can be commendable.  God is truth and we should love the truth.

The irony is that heresy hunters almost always become unbiblical themselves, both in their manner of arguing (judging fellow believers i.e. Rom. 14) and the peripheral issues they choose to attack.  Especially to Christian fundamentalists, a heretic is anyone who does things different than you- every issue becomes essential.

I say all this because I myself am tempted to quarrel with fellow believers in the blogosphere over unprofitable issues!

Here are some verses I was meditating on this morning:

Romans 14:1:  As for the one who is weak in faith, welcome him, but not to quarrel over opinions.

2 Corinthians 12:20: For I fear that perhaps when I come I may find you not as I wish, and that you may find me not as you wish—that perhaps there may be quarreling, jealousy, anger, hostility, slander, gossip, conceit, and disorder.

1 Timothy 2:8: I desire then that in every place the men should pray, lifting holy hands without anger or quarreling;

1 Timothy 6:4: he is puffed up with conceit and understands nothing. He has an unhealthy craving for controversy and for quarrels about words, which produce envy, dissension, slander, evil suspicions,

2 Timothy 2:14: Remind them of these things, and charge them before God not to quarrel about words, which does no good, but only ruins the hearers.

2 Timothy 2:23: Have nothing to do with foolish, ignorant controversies; you know that they breed quarrels.

Titus 3:2: to speak evil of no one, to avoid quarreling, to be gentle, and to show perfect courtesy toward all people.

Titus 3:9: But avoid foolish controversies, genealogies, dissensions, and quarrels about the law, for they are unprofitable and worthless.

James 4:1: What causes quarrels and what causes fights among you? Is it not this, that your passions are at war within you?

1 comment:

PaulLion said...

thank you, I believe the cartoon says it well, "Maybe yelling at stupid people on the internet makes me feel like a big, big, man." If Rick Love or someone with a lot of experience wants to critique a book or article I will probably read it, because they will approach it humbly and talk about the main issues. I think these other people just use the internet as a way to find significance, and I am glad this blog is not dedicated to this sort of discourse.