Monday, June 25, 2018

Exposed: Muslim Demographics Video

You might remember this viral piece of propaganda in the missions community. In 2009, I posted the Muslim Demographics Video:

I'm not sure I like the video I'm posting below. It is sensationalistic, mistakes Christendom for biblical faith, and seems to imply that secularism is better than Islam. But it makes a very interesting point about the future influence of Islam. I have heard about it from a couple different sources now. I did not check the stats but I assume they are correct.

Ummm, yeah. I should have checked the stats. I’m so sorry 16 million people have seen this misleading video.

Today, I saw that the BBC has finally fact-checked the video. The blog: Understanding Islam: Toward a Balanced Perspective has posted a nice write-up about it. Here is the link: Is Islam taking over the world?

And here is the new video: Muslim Demographics: the Truth

I apologize for posting the original video 9 years ago. As Christians, we need to recognize fear-mongering when we see it, especially from fellow evangelicals.

At the least, it makes an interesting case study in how some quarters of the missions movement try to manipulate us. Islamophobia is real.

2 comments:

JensB said...

Thanks for this. I have been using tinyfrogs debunking of this for the last 8 years or so here:
https://tinyfrog.wordpress.com/2009/05/03/muslim-demographics/

Yes, it a shame that the atheists were so quick to debunk this and christians were so slow (I STILL run into this video in my teaching travels). What is disgusting is that this video even did the rounds of the top leadership in our mission not to mention several denominations.... sigh...
JB

Warrick Farah said...

Wow, that's great. I'm sorry it took me so long to find out about this!