Friends, I am very excited to announce the release of the Cape Town Commitment, the result of the efforts of the Theology Working Group chaired so ably by Dr. Chris Wright. Here is the beginning of the forward, then you can look below if you wish to read the entire thing...
The Third Lausanne Congress on World Evangelization (Cape Town, 16-25 October 2010) brought together 4,200 evangelical leaders from 198 countries, and extended to hundreds of thousands more, participating in meetings around the world, and online. Its goal? To bring a fresh challenge to the global Church to bear witness to Jesus Christ and all his teaching - in every nation, in every sphere of society, and in the realm of ideas.
The Cape Town Commitment is the fruit of this endeavour. It stands in an historic line, building on both The Lausanne Covenant and The Manila Manifesto. It is in two parts. Part l sets out biblical convictions, passed down to us in the scriptures, and Part ll sounds the call to action.
The Cape Town Commitment
PART II - FOR THE WORLD WE SERVE: The Cape Town Call to Action
- We love because God first loved us
- We love the living God
- We love God the Father
- We love God the Son
- We love God the Holy Spirit
- We love God’s Word
- We love God’s world
- We love the gospel of God
- We love the people of God
- We love the mission of God
- Bearing witness to the truth of Christ in a pluralistic, globalized world
- Building the peace of Christ in our divided and broken world
- Living the love of Christ among people of other faiths
- Discerning the will of Christ for world evangelization
- Calling the Church of Christ back to humility, integrity and simplicity
- Partnering in the body of Christ for unity in mission